Coffee and the Economy

Isn't it interesting that something we've been drinking for centuries has become such a designer item? And that designer status may be in danger because of the economy? Well, maybe not. History shows us that when it comes to food and beverage, a shrinking economy generally causes us to eat at home more, cook at home more, and brew our own coffee. As coffee has risen in popularity as a designer item, the availability of all things coffee has skyrocketed. I can go to my local grocery store (and mind you, I live in a town of less then 10,000 inhabitants) and pick up a large variety of flavored coffee and coffee creamers. If I travel just 30 miles down the road, all sorts of coffee extras are available for my consumption, and 60 miles down the road is a virtual amusement park of all things coffee. And don't forget the internet! By utilizing that ubiquitous mechanism, not only can I buy American made coffee stuffs, but also coffee and accessories world wide. Coffee's designer status is probably not going to change during the current economic times, but it may be in for a makeover...

0 comments: